Wednesday, February 04, 2004

These last couple of days have sucked. Lots of sick people. On top of everything else in this story, I'm still getting over the cold I got a little while back.

So on Tuesday morning, our daycare provider calls to say she can't take the girls because she's throwing up. Greg and I decide that he'll work in the morning and I'll work in the afternoon and we'll cover it. Julia has come down with a nasty cold, so I spend a bunch of time in the morning suctioning her nose while I manage to get some work done at home.

At noon, Greg comes home for the tag team. Allie has been quiet all morning, just asking for a snack of multi-colored goldfish crackers and eating a slice of American cheese. I head upstairs to change clothes for work and hear a commotion downstairs. Allie has thrown up all over the (white, wouldn't you know) carpeting in the living room and in the hallway and in the bathroom.

Did you know that multi-colored goldfish crackers basically all turn red in the stomach? Gross doesn't even begin to describe it, and Greg got to clean it up because I had to leave. He spent the afternoon doing laundry (her bed got it too) and then Julia started throwing up also. Last evening was your basic miserable experience.

Last night actually wasn't too bad. Both girls last threw up about 7 p.m. Allie slept through the night and Julia woke at 3:30, famished. She ate part of a bottle and went back to sleep.

Our daycare provider had called and said she didn't feel up to taking the girls yet today. So Greg and I decided to tag team it again, this time with me working the morning. The girls were listless and Julia was clingy, but other than that they were pretty much OK. When I walked in to relieve Greg, however, he was throwing up in the bathroom.

He's been throwing up and nauseous all afternoon and evening while I've been trying to gradually re-introduce food for Allie while holding Julia, who's probably having stomach cramps on top of her cold, based on how she's almost inconsolable. And Julia's eaten so little today that I'm afraid for dehydration if she doesn't start eating in the morning.

And the worst part for me, personally, is the anticipation of knowing that my turn is coming. I don't think I have ever not caught something that Allie has had, illness-wise. Every time I eat, I question whether I'm going to be OK looking at that meal again.

The good news is, the girls and our daycare provider should be back together tomorrow. Greg may still be ill and I'll probably be ill, but at least we won't have to handle the two of them also. We'll also be feeling like death warmed over, most likely.

God, those nasty little viruses do like to do us humans in, don't they? Until healthier days---

No comments: