Tuesday, January 24, 2006

I read in the paper today that OK is the most common spoken word in the English language.

Tonight, I was bathing both girls in the bathtub. They'd both been scrubbed and next I sudsed up Julia's hair. I put a rolled-up washcloth on her forehead to help divert some of the rinse water and then pushed her head back gently as I said, "Look up, Julia, look up," to help keep more water off her face.

She wasn't looking up, so I repeated myself, but my gentle push was a little too hard for her resistance. She started slipping backwards in the water, so she put her hands back and started yelling as her butt slid a little bit on the slick bathtub bottom.

She didn't go under or anything, but she definitely wasn't happy, especially since she now had water dripping all over her face. I immediately wiped the water off with the washcloth. I told her, "I'm sorry, Julia. Are you OK, are you OK?"

Her emphatic reply--"I NOT OK."

I guess this was one of those times when that word (plus two others) said it all.

No comments: