Sunday, May 17, 2009

Sunday night

My family gets a breather now on massive amounts of outside activities, at least until next week.

Last week, Allie's Norwegian show went well, but she'll probably never think of it that way. Allie was one of four bellringers who performed the Westminster chimes at the start and middle of a Norwegian song about clocks. Each time the foursome rang the bells, they did the series of tones twice. The fourth time they did the tones, Allie, who had the task of ringing the first bell, didn't. It was just a momentary pause, rather sweet really, but she said it was humiliating. It'll probably end up being one of those things that still make her face flush in 30 years (witness me still remembering the time in first grade when I went to the board and worked a problem even though Mrs. Shallue hadn't called on me after all). And that's too bad.

Allie's 5k run was postponed until tomorrow because of thunderstorms. She's very worried about it. Today, she said that she wished she could painlessly break a bone so she didn't have to try to do it. And that's too bad and sad. She's putting too much pressure on herself.

Meanwhile, Julia is going for her master's degree in screeching at the top of her lungs when Allie does something she doesn't like or takes something from her. Of course, my response is always to yell at them both. There's gotta be a better way.

This afternoon, the three of us did have some fun. We went to the second of the weekend's two parades through downtown and very much enjoyed it. The parade lasted 1 1/2 hours and had (we counted) 16 live bands. That's a lot of music. There were also horses galore and no Shriners (that was my favorite part, no Shriners). Beautiful weather, if a little cool.

I didn't get any corn-on-the-cob this weekend, but I did donate blood on Friday. So that's 64 donations given over the last 25 years. A slow pace of donations, but hey--at this rate, I'll have given 16 gallons by the time I'm too old to donate anymore. That's a lot of blood if you picture it lined up in milk jugs. OK, scratch that thought--that's just gross.

2 comments:

Dan said...

Hope Allie's run goes ok.

And I was eting my breakfast when I read the blood in a jug thing. Thanks Deb. Thanks a lot.

Deb said...

Sorry, Dan!

Allie's run went very well. She said she ran almost all the way and she's now feeling much better about the "official" 5k run scheduled for the 30th. Especially since Daddy's going to run it with her.

Oops, was I supposed to let that slip?