Wednesday, July 22, 2009

What's up

My daughter Allie has been away from home for almost two weeks now. Summer camp, of a sort, at Nanny and Papa's house. Shortly after Allie got her cast off, Julia, Allie and I went off to Illinois for what was expected to be six days--so the girls could enjoy my in-law's company and their in-ground pool. Trips to the zoo, children's museum, and shopping were also promised.

It turned out to be a delightful vacation, especially for Greg, who got to pretend he was back to being a bachelor. At the end of the six days, Allie asked if she could stay another four days or so. She wanted more time to work with her cousin Emily at learning to swim and she wanted exclusive time with her grandparents. So Julia and I came home and Allie stayed.

Then Allie asked if she could stay a little longer, and we agreed. So now it's been almost two weeks and we're not sure when she's coming home. It's supposed to be tomorrow, but that predicated on my father-in-law coming to Wisconsin to trout fish. Which he may not do if the weather predication stands as it is right now. I'd be willing to drive down to pick up Allie anytime. But does she want to come home? My mother-in-law said last night that she wants to adopt Allie. Allie's daddy said, "Hell, no."

In other news, Julia is eagerly looking forward to her 6th birthday next week. The two of us went shopping for birthday supplies and decorations the other day and she picked everything pink. That's better than a Barbie theme or something, I suppose, but my goodness. She's such a girl!

2 comments:

kerry said...

It may be all pink but at least it's not branded. I was having a conversation with someone else the other day about how much Amy likes girly things and Evan loves trains even though we tried hard to not stereotype their toys growing up. You'll be looking back fondly at pink when she's a black wearing emo teenager or something....

Deb said...

Too true!