Wednesday, January 14, 2004

Last night, Allie took a long bath. How long? Long enough that her fingers, toes, and probably her head all had deep crevices instead of just bath wrinkles. About 45 minutes.

Her latest game in the bathtub is to lay back full-length, with her hair floating around her head. She likes to listen with her ears under water and have me pour cups of water on her tummy or legs.

She could and does lay (lie?) like this for at least half an hour without any desire to stir. This seems to supremely fit the definition of child. If I laid in the bathtub for a half an hour, I know I'd be thinking about projects at work or how the bathroom rug needed to be vacuumed (it really, really does, by the way) or about if we're really going to get 4-6 inches of snow and if Greg will be safe driving the freeway in that kind of weather.

Allie might be thinking about how she can't wait for Tuesday (when she has tumbling class, which she loves) or wondering when the weekend is coming again (she likes to sleep in until 8 as much as her parents), but I think that's about it.

After I finally got Allie out of the tub and in her jammies, I bathed Julia. Julia loves baths too. Last night, instead of resting on her slant-board with her legs splayed or with her feet up to her mouth (she's been chewing on her toes a lot lately), she actually stretched out her legs, crossed them, and rested them on the edge of her bathtub.

Freaked me out, it looked so grown up and non-babylike. She only held the position for about 30 seconds, however. Then she pulled her legs up and started trying to suck on the toes I had just covered with soap.

She doesn't seem to mind the taste of soap, by the way. Not that I'm admitting to anything.

No comments: