Thursday, December 04, 2008

Snow and school

Yes, Dan, it has been snowing where we live. And snowing. And snowing. There was a Winter Weather Advisory yesterday because we were projected to get up to 5 inches of snow, but our eventual result was about three inches. Nonetheless, Greg got to use the snowblower. Oh, what fun. And today it got cold--I think the high was about 20 degrees. I went out to shovel a little leftover snow on the sidewalk and my hands (in thermal gloves) were quite numb in only about ten minutes. When will spring arrive, again?

This week at school, Julia is her class's Student of the Week (SOTW). This honor means that we had to come up with a box of things that are special to her so she could show them to her classmates, we had to make a poster with photos, and we were encouraged to bring a special treat for the class. Yep, it's all about the food. Yesterday afternoon, I made cupcakes and last night I frosted the cupcakes and the girls decorated them.

This was, by the way, the first year of SOTW celebrations where we actually made the special treat. For the last three years, we've bought cupcakes when Allie was honored. Now, I know why that was a good idea. Folks, there were enough sprinkles, nonpariels, candy pieces, and colored sugar on these things to light a neon sign. At my suggestion, the girls left two of the cupcakes plain, just frosting. And when two leftover cupcakes made their way home tonight, what were they? Yes, they were the two plain frosted cupcakes. Shows what I know about the tastes of kindergarteners.

I also went to Julia's class for a visit today. I brought two books from home to read aloud to her class, which went well. I tried to use my dramatic voices and ask a few questions along the way (did you know that 30 percent of kindergarteners have piggy banks?). It was fun, except that Julia cried for fifteen minutes when I had to go. Ah, the travails of school.

No comments: