Thursday, April 10, 2008

Pillow talk

I've been married to Gregory for over 11 years. I've been sleeping with Gregory for, oh for the sake of my mom, let's just say a little longer than 11 years. I know how Gregory sleeps.

Night before last, my husband didn't come to bed. I went to bed about 10:15. I get up at 5:30, so that's about as late as I want to stay up on a "school night." Greg was downstairs watching something on TV (not unusual, obviously) and I went to sleep. At 2:30 a.m., Allie had a bad dream and called me to her room. I can't even remember the last time one of the girls has called for me in the night. I told her to think nice thoughts and go back to sleep. And I realized that Greg hadn't come to bed yet. He was still watching TV. At 2:30 a.m., on a school night.

Yesterday morning, he said he came to bed at sometime after 2:30. I'm thinking it was maybe 3:00 or so, which, even if he did nap a little on the couch, gave him about three hours of sleep for the night. And he did this voluntarily. Not because a child kept him up by throwing up at regular intervals.

Last night, I went to bed about 10:20. Greg came upstairs a few minutes later and climbed into bed. We talked a little bit. I told him that I was making a bet. I said, I bet that within two minutes of when you stop talking, you'll be snoring. He said nuh uh.

We stopped talking. I waited about five seconds and then started counting slowly, on the scale of One-Mississippi, Two-Mississippi, Three-Mississippi. I got to 52-Mississippi and he started snoring.

It's nice to always be right.

No comments: