Thursday, January 07, 2010

Money, money

Well, I'm a grad school student. That sounds weird.

Things have changed more than a little since I was last in school, 22 years ago (I wonder why). The latest big thing is that the cost of textbooks has just gone through the roof. I had to buy three textbooks for my three classes. The cheapest one is $130. The second cheapest one is $134. And the most expensive one is $180. Of course, that's without shipping.

When I last bought textbooks, I walked over to the Campus Center and picked up my books in person and I think my total was about $200 for four classes. In four years on campus, the most expensive book I remember buying was a complete collection of Shakespeare, almost two inches thick with very delicate paper, and it was $80.

May I just say--sheesh.

2 comments:

Dan said...

Can't you just mug a passing fellow student? Just whack them over the head with a text book or something.

Deb said...

Unfortunately, two of my classes are online only.

I'll keep that in mind for the third one, though!