Thursday, January 21, 2010

School daze

I'm coming to the end of my second week of grad school classes and things are going fine. OK. Not bad.

Actually, it's been a little overwhelming. I don't know exactly what my expectations were, considering that it's been over 20 years since I attended college, that was undergrad anyway, and now two of my classes are online only.

But I thought about what it was like when I was an on-campus undergrad and frankly, it was a lot easier than what I'm doing right now. Back then, I might go to class for an hour or so, then eat lunch, work my on-campus job for a couple of hours, then go to another class for an hour or so and that would be the school day.

I was usually pretty much up on my assignments, so if I didn't feel like doing any further work that evening, I didn't. I'd hang out at the campus center, visit friends, watch TV, see my boyfriend. Frankly, it was pretty peachy only being responsible for myself. I'm sure that's why people were always telling me that I'd someday look back and those would be the best days of my life.

Despite having a work-study job and feeling pressure to keep my grades up so I could keep my scholarship, the fact was that being a student was pretty easy.

Now, not so much. Lots of other things going on in my life--lots of good things that make my life a full and rich one. So I'm not complaining at all. I'm just--adjusting.

No comments: