Tuesday, September 30, 2003

I took Julia to the doctor for her two-month checkup today on what is her two-month birthday. She's tall! Who'd a thunk it. She's in the 90th percentile of babies her age for height but only the 50th percentile for weight. Julia now weighs 10 lbs., 9 oz. Hard to believe some babies weigh that much at birth (like my father-in-law, for instance).

Julia also had to get three shots. I guess that's better than Allie, who had to get four shots at this age. They've come up with some new and improved vaccine that combines something or other, so now "just" three shots. I remember when Allie got these, I spent at least a few minutes going over the vaccine information sheets, checking what the side effects could be and informing myself on what she had gotten.

Today, I don't even know what Julia got (I was changing a poopy diaper while the nurse was telling me) and I'm not planning on reading the sheets unless she's acting weird. Yet another of the "disadvantages" of being a second baby. At least she gets the advantage of parents who are a lot calmer about anything odd she does.

As long as Julia doesn't get sick, she doesn't have to go back to the doctor until she's four months old now (when she'll get three more shots). Kids these days get 21 shots before the age of two, believe it or not.

Allie did go back to the doctor before she turned four months old--she was in daycare for a grand total of two weeks before she got sick for the first time. Julia should be better off that way--our current daycare just has Allie and our provider's own 7-month-old son. Julia gets to start going there next week Wednesday, my first day back at work. Not looking forward to it, needless to say.

No comments: