Monday, September 15, 2003

Ohesotte nani? What is the meaning of my bellybutton?

That's Allie's favorite phrase from Daddy's new Japanese phrase book. She picked the book up because it has little sketches of funny men in it and she asked me to read her what it said. Greg was laughing at me because I'd read something that wouldn't make sense to a literal 3-year-old mind and then try to explain to her what it meant. Most of the time I'd just say, oh, that's a silly one. The above phrase is from the Zen section. It's funny, but it doesn't make too much sense to a literal 38-year-old mind either.

Allie is going to be gorgeous this weekend at my sister's wedding. She has an ivory satin dress with an organza overlay and a big satin sash. It has two satin roses at the raised waistline and a satisfactorily-swishy skirt (I say that because we put it on Allie briefly this weekend and she swung the skirt around and around). I remember doing that with dress skirts when I was her age and even older. She has ivory dress shoes and she'll wear ivory hose (as soon as we find some that fit). Thank you, Nana, for all your work on this outfit. Allie is going to beat the pants off the other flower girl in the cute department (sorry to Amanda).

No comments: