Thursday, September 13, 2007

I'm just talkin'

Last night, me and the girls went to Madison to shop for Greg's birthday gifts (his birthday is Friday). Julia was drowsy and she ended up going to sleep on the 20 minute or so ride. Allie talked the entire way there, almost without pause.

Normally when the four of us are in the car, Greg and I talk to each other and the girls talk to themselves, or to each other. I think Allie felt that since Daddy wasn't along, she had to entertain me. I was entertained, too, by the way she could come up with an unending string of subjects.

My favorite was when she asked why you have to poke four holes in the top of a pie when you make it. After I explained in simple terms, she said, Oh, you have to let the pressure out! I told her that was exactly right and asked how she knew about pressure, expecting her to say from a school science lesson. She responded that she remembered hearing it in an episode of "Mythbusters." That's my girl.

When we arrived home, Greg immediately began pumping Julia for information on where we had gone. Allie clapped her hand over Julia's mouth and Julia put her hand over the top of that. They both got so many warnings on the way home about keeping birthday secrets that they weren't giving away anything. Nice try, Gregory! You'll have to wait until tomorrow, naughty man.

No comments: