Sunday, September 09, 2007

OK, so we're going overseas

I'm exhausted from trying to find the perfect accommodations in Ireland. I've been reading website after website full of lovely-looking bed and breakfasts and guesthouses. Then I go to Tripadvisor, which has a fantastic area for reviewing such accommodations, and I find out that they all suck.

Oh, I exaggerate--there are some that don't suck. Unfortunately, they all cost about $250-300 per night. And the choices--there are literally hundreds of thousands of places to stay in Ireland. In some photos (even when the photographer is trying to produce a purely pretty photo), you can see a long row of B&B signs on the streets.

Greg is in favor of just winging it, of trying to just find a good place by driving down the undoubtably tiny roads. But I've read too many reviews about threadbare, gray sheets and disgusting bathrooms, not to mention surly landladies and noisy rooms. And when you have an infinite number of towns you could choose to make a base in, you can see why I haven't been doing much of anything except sitting in front of my computer.

We're going to see Dan and Kerry too. Since I've already booked the flight and the hotel, I can rest easy with those two days of the trip. They're going to take care of us. Right? Right?

No comments: