Thursday, December 27, 2007

Fine and dandy, except when we're not

We're all fine, here in the Lee household after Christmas. I spent a bunch of time picking up the living room, dining room, and basement last night, so most of our gifts are under the tree, or adjacent to the tree, or actively being played with, or they're on the kitchen table so we don't have anywhere to eat.

I wanted to make sure that the gift clothing that the girls received all fit, so I told them last night that it was time for "Fashion Show," which is our process of trying on everything. There's really no "show" involved, unless you include getting Daddy to take his eyes off "Hellboy" for a moment to say that she looks nice.

Allie removed her sweatshirt and jeans and started trying things on. Julia, who still sometimes struggles with not having a nap in the afternoon, was having one of those days. She protested taking her clothes off, then started crying, then said, with all the indignation her little voice could muster, "Fashion Show is BORING."

This was after I moved the toy she was playing with over two inches, and she yelled, "Mommy, now I can't find my mug (which is about 1/4 inch high, by the way) and I'll have to get a NEW ONE!" Then she started crying.

I told her she didn't have to do Fashion Show, and then she said, "Allie won't PLAY with me. Allie won't let me be the PRINCESS," and she started crying.

It was a long evening.

No comments: