Saturday, December 15, 2007

Prep-for-holiday Saturday

This morning, Allie and I made a list of the things we need to get done this weekend. So far, we've made Church Windows, gone to a holiday party, and made dough for Christmas cutouts. Greg wrapped some gifts this afternoon so we're getting there on a fourth item from the list. Tomorrow, we need to bake the Christmas cutouts, decorate them, bake a chocolate cake for my department potluck on Monday, pick up Famous Dave's barbeque for the potluck, and wrap and sort more gifts. The presents are actually birthday and Christmas, since Ashton, Judy, Rachel, and Marcia all have birthdays between the 17th and the 28th.

What are Church Windows, you may ask? Well, it's really a technical, lengthy recipe. I don't want to be typing all night, so I'm not sure I should get into it here. I do have some other things to get done yet this evening. Oh, all right.

Put a stick of butter and a bag of chocolate chips in the microwave on high for 1 minute. Stir. Dump in a bag of colored marshmallows. Form into loaves and refrigerate. Cut in slices and you have Church Windows. Phew, I'm exhausted just typing about it.

The chocolate cake is called Almost-As-Good-As-Sex Cake. There's a Better Than Sex Cake recipe out there but this is not that. You bake a German chocolate cake mix like usual. Poke holes all over. Dump a can of sweetened condensed milk on top. Dump a jar of caramel ice cream topping on top. Cover the whole thing with whipped cream. Crush two Heath bars and sprinkle on top. It's really, really good.

I like to bake, but I love simple recipes. I used to say that the only recipe I had memorized was Nestle Tollhouse Cookies, but that's obviously not true because I just did these simple recipes from memory. You really should try them. Go ahead, stop reading blogs and go create something for your family and friends. Just please come back later, OK?

And by the way, we got another 2 inches of snow today. I think that brings the total to 26 inches. OK, God, we get the point--you wanted us to have a white Christmas and we definitely are going to. Now cut it out.

No comments: