Sunday, March 23, 2008

The first of many?

Julia told me her first lie tonight. We had been away for the weekend, visiting my family for Easter. When we came home, Allie and Julia opened the Easter cards that Nana sent them. She'd included a stick of gum in each one. Julia loves gum, especially since we only very rarely buy it.

I told her she could have the gum but that she needed to spit it out when it was time for her bath. As we were heading upstairs to do her bath, she looked at me with those wide blue eyes and said, Mommy, I spit out my gum. I put in my hand and then I put it in the garbage downstairs. And of course I believed her.

A few minutes later, as we were getting ready to get her into the tub, she stubbed her toe. She started to wail and I saw a piece of gum in her mouth. She'd lied to me.

I didn't even know what to say. Isn't four and a half too young for lying? I think Allie was about seven before we caught her in her first lie. I know, I know--different kids. But still.

Are we raising a liar?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That was just a little white lie. I have learned through the years not to dwell on the small stuff. As we grow older a whole lot of things are thrown our way. Some things are harder to get through than others. Just make sure Julia knows that telling a truth will not get her into as much trouble as a lie.

Anonymous said...

Amy's started to lie to us on occasion. I think it's a sign of independence and self awareness as much as moral decay. which isn't to say we let her get away with it of course