Thursday, March 27, 2008

The two extremes

Today at work, I was involved in the discipline of one employee and the firing of another due to a significant event that happened last week. Involving the fire department.

The first guy had a pretty normal reaction. He protested his innocence, then said other people had done the same thing and were they going to be disciplined too, then said the whole thing was a fucking joke and that he wasn't signing his fucking work violation. I've had more people than I can count have this reaction over the years. It doesn't phase me at all anymore.

I didn't have sweaty palms. My heart wasn't pounding. I wasn't worried about what I was going to say next and how he would react to it. I certainly didn't fear for my safety. That's partially because I felt in control and partially because in this case, his manager was also in the room and he's about 6' 5" and 300 lbs.

Regardless, the guy headed for the door, saying he was going back to work. I had to tell him to stop and that if he didn't sign the work violation, he was quitting. He stood in the doorway for a second, slammed the door closed, said fuck a few more times, and scrawled his signature. Then I told him he had to serve a one-day suspension. That didn't go over very well either.

Several profanities later, it was time to fire the other individual. He sat down, I told him we'd concluded our investigation, and told him the specific issues applying to him. He said that he agreed with the results of the investigation (in fact, he repeatedly said that he accepted responsibility) and then I told him that he was terminated. He said, "Thank you."

OK, now that's a first.

It wasn't as odd as it sounded. After he said thank you, he stood up and pushed past his manager to the door, saying he was leaving. We tried to talk to him about some of his belongings and some company items he needed to return but he took off. His manager followed him and about five minutes later, the employee stopped in my doorway while I was on the phone and dropped some company items on my desk. He seemed a little calmer.

I do think I'm going to remember this one however. I've had people cry (actually, lots of people cry). I've had people swear and pound on the table. I've sometimes warned my co-workers that if they hear sounds in my office that seem like trouble, they shouldn't be afraid to open the door to see what's happening (just a safety thing, it's never been necessary). I've had people laugh and then threaten me and the company (No, Mom. Not me bodily. Just say things like God is going to take care of me. Or that they know some day I'll pay. One guy asked me if I had children and then said he was asking because he didn't know how I could go home to them with what I had done to him on my conscience.) Lots of people threaten to sue.

This guy, he's the first one to say Thank You. But you know, I don't really think he meant it.

No comments: