Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Now on TV

Tonight, my family watched a new show called "Baby Borrowers." The premise is that five teenage couples who all think they're ready to have a baby are given individual homes in a cul de sac and their own vehicles. Then they wear an Empathy belly pregnancy simulator thing for two days and then they get real babies. The infants ranged in age from six months to eleven months and the kids got them for three days and nights. After the first day, one of the kids stays home with the baby and the other goes to work outside the home (and believe me, there were fights over who got to leave). The real parents could watch 24-7 on surveillance cameras and a trained nanny stayed the entire time in the house, but the nannies were told not to comment or intervene unless the child was in physical danger.

In future shows, the kids are getting toddlers, then preteens, then teenagers, then senior citizens. It was pretty interesting stuff. Some of the kids were just completely overwhelmed. The couples would start arguing over who had to take care of "it." Yes, they called the baby, "It." In most cases, the real parents ended up popping in to either chastise the kids or give them a pep talk (mostly chastising). Two of the girls just stopped trying to take care of the babies. I've read reviews of the show, and apparently in a future episode, a nanny has to step in when one couple decides to leave a toddler alone in a house.

Allie and I had a good conversation while we watched. She ended up saying that she doesn't want to get a baby (yep, she said "get") until she's at least 38, like me. Oh, boy. I told her that she can have a baby when she's younger than 38. After all, I had Allie when I was 34 and I think I would have been ready by 28 or so (I'm a late bloomer!). But I think now she's going to be checking the parenting credentials of future boyfriends!

No comments: