Thursday, July 10, 2008

Yay for breathing!

There's a letter to the editor in our local paper, talking about the victory the writer and others in our city have achieved. All of the full service restaurants in our town of 12,000 people are now smoke free. The writer says that he believes this is the first time a change like this has been accomplished in Wisconsin without having to pass a city ordinance.

Yay for Norm (the writer)! Yay for the other people who worked long and hard to get this completed. My family will no longer stink like cigarettes after eating Friday fish fry. We'll no longer have to try to explain to our girls that some people like to smoke right before and after they eat while they sit at the table next to us, even though, yes, they know it's going to kill them.

We'll probably have to walk through clouds of smoke to get in to the restaurant, but it's easier to hold my breath and hustle my kids through than to breathe it for an entire meal. Heck, we'll probably consider sticking around and ordering some of the delicious pie that a couple of our local restaurants are known for since we don't have to breathe other people's smoke.

Oops, opened a can of worms with that one. No, I'm not going into an obesity lecture (even for myself). I was kidding about the pie! Honest! One health issue at a time, people.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

There's a George Carlin (did I spell that right) quote I heard recently that reminded me of this post:

"A smoking section in a restaurant is like having a pissing section in a swimming pool"

Well, it amused me