Sunday, October 29, 2006

Family not dynamic

Weekend mornings are always very slow in the Lee household.

Usually, Greg gets up with whatever child comes walking into our bedroom on Saturday mornings and I do the same on Sunday mornings. What time that arising occurs is strictly a matter of chance.

Yesterday, I got up when Julia and Allie both wandered into our bedroom at 7:15 because Greg had flight delays and didn't get in until 12:30 p.m. He stayed in bed for awhile and got up later.

This morning, when Julia came into our room at (gasp!) 6:10 or so--because of the time change last night--Greg heroically dragged himself out of bed to try to convince her to go back to sleep. Didn't work.

I lazed in bed for quite a bit longer, then was the last in the family to get up, past 8:00 (are you jealous, Dan?).

And we haven't been doing much since. Greg made an amazing breakfast and cleaned up afterwards (yes, I protested). I read the paper. The girls played in the living room. Greg watched TV.

That's pretty much what happens every weekend morning, until we get motivated by whatever we're supposed to get accomplished and someone gets in the shower.

It's pretty bad when your three-year-old begs to get dressed.

I can't even count how many times Dan has seen my family in their jammies because we get online with him on Saturday or Sunday mornings and no one has dressed yet. Fortunately my weekly call to my mom is by phone, not by webcam, or we'd be doing that with even more people.

Today, we need to go buy Allie more winter clothes, especially pants. Greg asked me mid-morning when I was going to be finished with the newspaper. He then started watching an hour-long program on TV. I stopped reading and came upstairs to shower. Now I've been ready to go for awhile, it's noon, and Greg is still watching TV (Tivo, by the way). On other weekends, it is just as frequently me that's dragging their feet.

The sun is shining and it's a beautiful day to get those outdoor autumn projects done, plus we do have to go shopping.

Yet I sit in our bedroom typing and my family is downstairs playing and watching TV.

Just call us the potato family!

No comments: