Saturday, November 25, 2006

I want, I want

Since August, Julia has been a coveting machine. As soon as her July 30 birthday was over, it seemed, she began saying that she wanted every single toy shown on television commercials for her birthday.

We would mostly ignore her, or we'd tell her that her birthday was over. At some point, we told her that if she wanted something, it would have to be for Christmas.

So for the last three months already, every single time there's any kind of toy commercial on (and especially if it's for something pink and plastic), Julia says, "I'm getting that for Christmas."

Do you have any idea how many toy commercials are on every day? Even on the channels that aren't aimed at kids, there are a lot. I'm guessing about six per hour, and it's ramping up now that Christmas actually is coming.

I've taken to telling her, "No, Julia, you're not getting that." She completely ignores me.

Yesterday Allie held a toy out of her reach and told Julia she could have it if she would stop saying, "T'm getting that for Christmas." It didn't work, needless to say.

Before too long, Christmas will be over, Allie's birthday will pass, and Julia can adjust her mantra to, "I'm getting that for my birthday." I, personally, can wait. This has to be a phase, right?

No comments: