Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Questioning

In the mail today, we got a questionnaire to complete from the local school district. Julia is now eligible for early childhood education, if she isn't meeting certain developmental goals.

Among many other things, we had to figure out if Julia knew how to count to three or five, for example (Julia counted to eleven, then said firteen [13] then sisteen [16]). We had to see if she knew her colors. We asked her to jump with both feet. We asked questions about whether something was over or under. We asked "what do you do with an apple" and "are you a boy or a girl" and "what's your name" and "how old are you"?

She did great. I don't think, based on our responses, that we'll be getting a call from the school district. Julia's pretty normal, and that's a wonderful thing.

About three weeks ago, we went to Allie's school for a parent-teacher conference. She's doing just fine too. She's having a little trouble with reversing the order of her letters and numbers occasionally, which I think is at least partially due to being a lefty. Her teacher says it's not necessarily that and that it's perfectly normal.

I remember when my parents went to parent-teacher conferences for me. Even though I was a good student, it was always a little nerve-wracking knowing they were talking to my teacher. I can't imagine what those conferences were like for the parents of the "BAD KIDS."

Let's hope I never have to find out!

No comments: