Friday, November 21, 2008

My child left where?

This week Allie discovered that she likes bagels with cream cheese. I like bagels too, but we don't buy them very frequently; in fact I can't remember when I last bought some. The bagels were part of the special snacks provided by parents at school this week, and Allie didn't want to eat breakfast at home all week because of a provided breakfast also. What was the occasion?

Third grade was taking their "Wicky" tests--the tests that determine if our school system is meeting it's obligations under the No Child Left Behind law or act or whatever it's called. To make sure that Allie's grade does as well as they possibly can, the school system does some extraordinary things.

First, they have the entire second grade practice taking a week of the tests to smell out any problem areas (or problem children, I assume). During that week last year, every child was provided with a nutritious breakfast--just in case they didn't or don't get one at home, I guess. The mid-morning milk break was also special "nutritious" snacks; not just the normal crackers but also string cheese, yogurt, and fruit. They did the same thing this week, plus the school hallways were under special "quiet test time" rules.

I appreciate what they're trying to demonstrate here, I really do. I just think it's sad that they only go through these efforts to provide an extremely positive learning and testing environment for one week during the year.

We sent string cheese. Does that mean we did our part for education this week? This year?

No comments: