Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Warning to future buyers of any car I have owned in the last 11 years

Once upon a time, I diligently followed the service recommendations that came with my automobiles. I'd get oil changes done every 3,000 miles or so. I'd get the recommended 30,000 mile check done, and I'd keep on top of getting new windshield wipers and such. Then I'd trade my car in and buy another one. At about 50,000 miles or so.

Actually, I did used to do these things but those were the years when I did sales and put about 25,000 miles on my car each year and I got a monthly car allowance of several hundred dollars.

Then I quit sales and got married and started having kids and car maintenance slipped way, way to the bottom of my list of priorities. I read some things about frequency of oil changes and realized I was an idiot to spend so much money on them and I started going a lot longer between changes. A lot longer.

Umm. Well. Today I got my oil changed. I think I went about 13,000 miles on this batch of oil. Oops.

So if you ever buy a car that I've owned, this has been your public warning that the maintenance hasn't been the best. Oh, and I never wax my car anymore either.

Gotta go--the oil change place discovered that I have a screw embedded in one of my tires and I'm off to have it fixed. See, I take care of my tires. Kinda. Not really, but I'm taking care of this one.

Sigh.

No comments: