Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Complete intoxication

In my little garden, in our back yard, are my little plants. They're growing well, actually, but I started so late that they have a long, long way to catch up. When we bought the vegetation, Greg decided to pick out a catnip plant. I've never tried to grow catnip before, but it seemed like it might be fun for our cats.

Of the 20 or so things in the garden, this one catnip plant is doing by far the best. It's really big and flowering and growing like one of the many weeds that my little plot sported until I spent 1 1/2 hours clearing it out last week. By the way, did I mention that it was 1 1/2 hours for a plot that's roughly 5 x 10 feet? But I digress.

Since we haven't had any rain for, oh I don't know, maybe six weeks or so, Greg and I went about our routine of watering last night. I was doing the garden and Greg was in the front of the house. I pointed out how well the catnip was doing and Greg pulled off three or so leaves, to bring inside for the cats.

They. Loved. It. Oh my god. Greg crushed the leaves a little bit to get them interested, which proved to be completely unnecessary. In very short order, they were both rolling, rubbing, stretching, pouncing, rolling, etc. etc. They bit on the leaves, rubbed ecstatically, chewed a little and rolled and rolled. It is a huge understatement to say that they were incredibly happy with these three or four leaves. If we brought the entire plant inside right now, I think we'd kill them both.

They would die happy.

No comments: