Thursday, May 17, 2007

The Day After

Do you remember this movie from 1983? I'm watching it right now and almost 25 years after it first came out, it's still shocking. The missles just exploded over Kansas and the rest of the U.S., over 300 missles according to the military that's shown talking, right before they all die.

I remember seeing parts of this movie back then, but I couldn't stand to watch the entire thing. I still can't. I was graduating from high school then, ready to head off to college and on my own for the first time. I don't think I thought much about if I'd have children someday at the time, but now that I do have kids, the scenes of children dying disturb me.

As well they should. The world is still a troubled place, but at least this type of lunacy seems to have been abated. I hope we never end up in that place again.

No comments: