Monday, May 07, 2007

Tag, I'm it

OK, Dan tagged me for this My Favorite Toddler Books thing, so here goes:

1. The Big Red Barn - Margaret Wise Brown

By the big red barn in the great green field, there was a pink pig who was learning to squeal . . .

Margaret Wise Brown also wrote Goodnight Moon, which usually gets listed as a favorite in these types of lists. I hate Goodnight Moon, but I really like the rhythms in The Big Red Barn. There was a time when I had pretty much the entire book memorized. Allie loved to look at the pictures in her board book and count the animals.

2. Are You My Mother? - P.D. Eastman

"I did have a mother," said the baby bird. "I know I did. I have to find her. I will. I WILL!"

Being a mom, I love this book that celebrates how dedicated a little bird could be to finding his mother, even though he was just hatched and he has no idea what she looks like. My favorite part is when he thinks that a steam shovel is his mother. He calls her a Snort.

3. Bedtime for Frances - Russell Hoban

"I think there's a monster in my room. Can I have some cake?"

Fortunately, I don't have one of those kids who finds every excuse imaginable to delay falling asleep. For that reason, Allie and Julia like to hear this book about a BADGER (so there, Dan!) who just isn't ready for bed. The above line is my absolute favorite in the book.

4. Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus! - Mo Willems


"I thought he'd never leave. Hey, can I drive the bus? Please? I'll be careful. I tell you what: I'll just steer."


There's a whole series of these Pigeon books, and we also own the one where the Pigeon finds a hot dog and doesn't want to share it. Funny, great illustrations, and easy for a beginning reader who's heard it many, many times.

5. There's a Party at Mona's Tonight - Harry Allard

Potter decided to tunnel his way into Mona's basement. He said he was from the gas company and had come to read the gas meter. Mona didn't buy it. "Scram, Potter!" she said.

I have to admit, we didn't even buy this book. One of Greg's friends from work said that we had to have it, and she photocopied the pages and put them in a little binder for Allie. We don't have color in the illustrations, but this story about a pig who will do anything to get into a party at Mona's is very amusing. I like the quote above because it reminds me of when the gas meter man actually came to the house, opened the back door, and headed down the stairs to the basement without even knocking. You don't see stuff like that anymore (I say that in a creaky old person voice).

6. Little House books - Laura Ingalls Wilder

"Where's my little half pint, almost drunk up?"

I've written before about my love for these books, so I won't repeat myself, except to say that if I didn't dislike alliterative names, my firstborn would definitely have been named Laura.

By the way, part of the reason that Allie is named Alexandra is because of the Black Stallion books, which feature a boy named Alec.

I'm tagging Dwayne from Sluggo is Yoyo and either Shannon or Anna from Parrs So Far. I hope this will encourage either of them to write something new. I'd also like to tag my mother-in-law, who often comments here, but she doesn't have a blog. Marcia, you could comment on this post if you choose to participate. I know you get a lot of practice reading to toddlers!

This was fun, Dan. Thanks.

No comments: