Tuesday, May 01, 2007

Night night, sleep tight

Allie is going on her very first sleepover this Saturday night. One of her school friends is turning 7 on Monday and so she is being allowed to invite a friend for play outside, movies in the evening, and then a sleepover.

This morning, Allie was planning what to pack in her suitcase. She said she was going to need her sleeping bag, clothes, a hairbrush, her toothbrush and toothpaste, her stuffed dog, books, snacks, other toys . . . I told her she needs to bring clothes, her toothbrush, and a comb. We haven't heard from the other parents yet, but I doubt the other things are going to be necessary.

She is so excited. We were talking this morning and I said that she's going to have lots of fun with Hannah, then be able to settle down and have a wonderful sleep, then have breakfast and come home. She said, yes, Mom, but before we go to sleep we're going to have a pillow fight!

This all makes me remember sleeping over at my friend Mary's house when I was in grade school. We always had fun, but I must have always stayed over on Friday nights. On Saturday mornings, Mary had tap and ballet lessons at 8:00, downtown. I remember having to get up for her lessons, then sitting in the bleachers at the Community House, watching and wishing I could have tap and ballet lessons.

I remember a disastrous attempt at making pancakes one late morning. I remember us making phone calls to information in Hollywood, California for various stars. I remember her trying to teach me to play her piano.

I think it's cool that Allie is starting this part of her life. When she's as ancient as I am, she can remember this first adventure and tell her own daughter that she hopes she too has a wonderful time on her first sleepover.

No comments: