Sunday, February 25, 2007

Aching, aching muscles

Well, it snowed some more. A lot more. About 9 inches more and it got warm, so the snow got very wet and heavy. At 8:45 this morning, the city plows came to our cul de sac and completely filled the end of the driveway. Without exaggeration, the pile was about three feet high and five feet wide. It was chunky and heavier than hell and the banks on either side of the driveway had gotten so high that you had to take a shovelful and throw it up and up.

Into this environment came me and Greg, already sore from yesterday's shoveling. And we shoveled some more, me for another hour and Greg for longer than that. We got so warm that my glasses kept fogging up on my face, even though it was only about 30 degrees out.

It sucked. It really, really sucked. When we came in and sat down, we were hot and sweaty. After we sat for awhile, we tried to get up and began to really feel the pain. By the way, Greg did get the snowblower fixed and he successfully used it for about four paths up and down the driveway this moring before the transmission left us for good. So we had to shovel.

Later in the afternoon, Allie wanted to go out and play in it, so we went out together. Did I mention it kept snowing after that? Yep, we got about another 1/2 inch by afternoon, so I shoveled that. And it's snowing now--we're supposed to get another 2 inches or so tonight.

I took pictures of Allie on top of the snowbank by the mailbox. She's way over the height of the mailbox. I told her I was sure that these were the biggest she'd ever seen snowbanks in her life. They're the biggest that I remember in a long time.

They can start melting any time now!

No comments: