Monday, February 05, 2007

I just don't know

OK, here's a question to consider. Would you stay with your spouse if he or she had a sex change operation?

Earlier, I was watching part of one of my favorite shows, "Little People, Big World," which is about a husband and wife who are little people. They have four kids, three of whom are average size (don't say "normal" size) and one of whom is also a dwarf. The word "midget," by the way, is frowned upon.

Tonight, that show was followed by another show about a family who are all dwarves, and then this show came on, which is called, "My Unique Family." I've seen the previews for this show, which highlight a family that is raising their children as Wiccans and another where the family members have hand deformities.

For some reason, they didn't preview this episode, in which a father of two children has decided to change gender. Her wife, Chris, now talks about her partner, who used to be Jeff and is now Jennifer. Jennifer has been taking female hormones for several years and even though it's only 15 minutes into the episode, Jennifer has already shared that soon she's going to have her first genital surgery, to have her testicles removed. She says she'll be able to decrease the amount of hormones she's taking, which seems healthier. Well, I guess that's a good thing, right?

The big question for these two, apparently, is how the former wife is adjusting to being married to someone who has become a woman during their relationship.

I love Gregory, but this is an unbelievably big question. I have no fears that I'm going to have to deal with this situation, of course. But what would you do?

No comments: