Monday, April 23, 2007

Neighborhood mystery

The girls were in bed and Greg and I were in the living room tonight when we heard sirens coming. A police officer tore down the street and pulled into our cul de sac, then turned off his lights and siren and parked. Then another. Then another. I'm pretty sure that's the entire active police force of our town on a Monday night, all on our street.

Of course, Greg and I were concerned about what was going on. The neighbor across the street has been taken to the hospital at least twice, so we thought maybe something had happened there. But no, they pulled up to one of our other neighbors and they all hopped out and rushed to the front door.

The house was really dark inside, so I started thinking burglars or something. Then someone opened the front door and turned on a light. The cops stood with someone and talked briefly, then two of the cops turned around, got in their cars, and left. The only thing I could hear was, "He's gone."

I went back inside, wondering what that was all about. This is a small city, so you never know when you might hear of what was going on. Until then, it's a mystery. Do you have a theory?

No comments: