Sunday, April 01, 2007

Oh, lordy

After I wrote the post last night, I got out "Little House in the Big Woods" and started re-reading it. I got a good chunk of the way through the book and then Allie saw me and she wanted to hear some of it. I read out loud about the first time Laura ever went to town and what a wonderland she thought the town store was.

Then I told Allie that for Christmas, Laura and her sister only got new red mittens and one candy cane, and how excited they were to get such wonderful presents. That's when I got into trouble. Allie asked why Santa Claus didn't bring them more than that.

Oh, crap. I told her that this was a very long time ago and that children didn't get presents like she does now. Allie said, Mommy, is Santa Claus real? I said he was. She said, are the flying reindeer real? I said they were. She said, how do they do that? I said, no one really knows--want to hear some more about Laura? She said, I want to go to the North Pole and see them do that. Then she said she wanted to hear more about the Ingalls.

She's 7 years old. When do we have to admit the truth? I'M NOT READY!

No comments: