Saturday, March 31, 2007

Naming rights

If it weren't for the fact that I'm not fond of alliterative names, Allie would definitely have been named Laura, after Laura Ingalls Wilder. I was completely addicted to the Little House books as a child, to the point that my parents forbid me from taking any of the books out from the library again. You could look at the sign-out card for any of the series and my name would have been on them over and over.

I was fascinated with the Little House stories, starting with Little House in the Big Woods, which actually took place in my home state. That was pretty cool for an 8-year-old.

Something about the anecdotes rang home for me, and I used to think that maybe my grandmother had done similar things with her family when she was a little girl (well, I was only about 40 years off).

Things were awfully hard back then, and I didn't have any desire to actually become an Ingalls girl, but I did love to read about the adventures. Fortunately, we didn't have a boy, and I know Greg is grateful that my infatuation didn't extend to naming him Almanzo.

No comments: