Wednesday, March 07, 2007

Dentists are the pits

Well, today I finished the last of five appointments involving my left upper back molar. Yep, five fun-filled visits. I'm not sure it was worth it. It'll be worth the $2200 I spent, right?

I went for my regular checkup in November and found out I had a cavity, my first in a long, long time. I had a filling, which was a complete failure. I had immediate swelling and pain and redness of my face, to the point that I needed an antibiotic. I had to get an emergency root canal, which was more fun than I think I can describe here.

I needed a crown. I went for an emergency appointment with a new dentist (having given up on the old one because I wasn't sure he didn't cause this to some extent). This dentist found there was still decay in the tooth and he drilled away for literally two hours. I went to another appointment where I had to have four impressions taken. The third one was so bad that I gagged and almost threw up.

Today I went to have my permanent crown put on and the dentist discovered he needed to laser away some of my gum or the crown wouldn't fit correctly. Oh, yes. That felt really good, let me tell you, especially since I wasn't frozen up completely.

Gee, I only have 3 1/2 months to wait until I go back for my next regular checkup. Yup, really looking forward to that one.

No comments: