Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Sweet as taffy

All of the first grade classes at Allie's school have been studying whales for some time and their music teacher coordinated that unit with a special musical performance. This morning, me and about 100 other parents, grandparents, siblings, and friends went to school at 10:15 to see all of the first graders sing and recite. Who, I ask you, does not need to leave work or something important to attend something scheduled at 10:15 in the morning. Quite inconvenient, I'm telling you.

Regardless, Allie was stupendous. She looked for me somewhat anxiously, found me with her eyes, did not wave (per stern prior instructions from the teacher), smiled at me when I waved, and followed her teacher's instructions to the letter. She recited her part of the program perfectly and loudly, moved on and off the central stage area swiftly, and then smiled and paid attention as her classmates did their parts. Allie sang enthusiastically and did all the appropriate hand motions. She was amazing, truly. I say that completely without bias, of course.

Truthfully, it was all incredibly sweet and all of the kids did a wonderful job. Made my teeth ache, it was so sweet and precious. And I'm not even going to talk about the memories it brought back.

A very cool day.

No comments: