Thursday, March 01, 2007

The devil is in the details

Greg and I are planning a trip later this year, and his parents are planning on joining us. We're excited about the whole idea, except now---it's just the details----

When Greg and I went to England and France two years ago, we only took carry-ons for 10 days of travel. It wasn't easy to pack for that, but we did so much walking, travel on public transportation, and generally, doing without a car that it really, really paid off.

We naturally want to have the same ease of movement this time, but Greg's mom is not thrilled about our restriction on luggage. We're going to have a car this time, but there's still three flights involved plus some public transportation and we're certainly well aware that most rental cars in Europe are quite small. I read some notes one woman wrote about a trip to England where she said that she and her three travel-mates spent every minute in their rental car with extra bags on their laps because things physically could not fit in the trunk (or boot).

We're also having some discussion about the month of travel. I want to go earlier. Airfare, hotels, and the rental car will be cheaper and so will meals (and probably some entertainment). Plus it's a certainty that things will be less crowded. Some others want to go later, because it'll be warmer.

Last night, we checked a temperature chart and the difference is 8 degrees between the two months we're discussing. For 8 degrees and possibly as much as $1000, I can wear a coat. Especially since when Greg and I were in Paris, they had a 90-degree day in May. You just never know what you're going to get.

Things will work out, I'm sure. Everyone will realize that they should fall into line with my ideas and we'll proceed with the planning peacefully. Until we actually leave, and then everyone will acquiesce to my decisions and we'll have a wonderful time.

I can't wait!

No comments: