Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Sleepytime?

For many years, I've been able to wake up at almost the exact time I wanted to. Since I've had kids, my actual bedside alarm clock has been set to 5:30 (on weekdays). Almost without fail, I wake up on weekdays at 5:28 or 5:29. On the weekends, my internal clock knows it's not a weekday and I can sleep in until one of the kids wakes me.

My clock even works for naps. I took quite a few naps when I was pregnant (both times), and as long I looked at the bedside clock before I closed my eyes, I could wake up in almost exactly one hour (or whatever).

Completely bizarre stuff.

Unfortunately----I have way too much work crap on my mind these days. So for the last few mornings, my body clock has decided that I need to wake up at 4:00 a.m., just so I have plenty of time to lie awake and think of all the overdue stuff I was supposed to do days ago.

Have you ever tried to turn your brain off in this situation? It's impossible. You resolve to just think about breathing.

In, out. In, out. In, out. Did you do that report for the president? Oh, shit. You didn't do it. You are so screwed. Surely they realize how overburdened you are. Of course they do. Oh, crap. No, I'm not going to think about that. In, out. In, out. So screwed, yes you are. And what about that survey that the CEO asked you to complete and get in. You didn't do it, did you. What are you going to say when he asks you about it. Are you just going to lie? You are so screwed. You need to go to sleep. You're going to be so tired tomorrow and you have to get some things actually completed. First thing, you'll do the president's report. Then you'll do the CEOs survey. Before you do anything else. In, out. Oh, shit. You need to remember about the testing. You should have called on that last week and now there's no way that vendor's going to be able to make it in with two days notice. You are so screwed. You need to go to sleep. You're not going to think about any more of this crap. In, out. In, out. In, out.

Oh, look. It's 5:00. You might as well get up. You brought your work computer home for the 400th night, so you can get a start on some stuff right away.

Sigh.

No comments: