Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Recovering?

Don't bother reading this, it's boring. Really. Click on Dooce or Allthatcomeswithit or something. Still reading? Don't say I didn't warn you.

In two days, it will be Friday night again. When that Friday arrives, it'll be two weeks ago that I first started feeling like I was coming down with a cold. Sore throat, tickle in my nose, you know the feeling. I really didn't feel like becoming sick, so I decided to try some of those homeopathic cold remedy things. You let the lozenge dissolve in your mouth every two freaking hours until either the cold symptoms go away or you're so busy blowing your nose that you forget to take your next lozenge. I religiously did those lozenge things for two and a half days, until the bottle was empty.

By then, the symptoms had arrived with a vengeance. Two days later, I started coughing and I mostly lost my voice. Another day later, my entire throat became sore. Not just when I swallowed, which is sort of expected with a cold and nasal drainage, but my entire neck. Sore glands, I guess. Oh, my neck hurt. I started taking Motrin pretty occasionally, at least twice a day. And now, a week later, I'm still taking Motrin at least three times a day.

For the last two days, my jaw has been aching. My teeth are very sensitive on both the top and bottom and if I don't take something when it starts to build up, my entire head aches. My neck still aches. And I have a sore spot on the roof of my mouth. My cough is now in response to numerous dry tickles and I'm still not really sleeping.

I know I should probably go to the doctor. I probably have some kind of sinus infection going on or something and/or I do have strep throat (though I don't think so). I just know that if this is a viral cold, my 7-10 days of misery didn't end in 7-10 days and so I am really ready to feel better. After all, I have a date this weekend! And I'm out of Motrin.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Almost everyone has had this. You will get better sooner or later.

Deb said...

I agree, I know a lot of people who have been sick lately.

Last night, my last two Motrin gave up after only 2 hours and I woke up in pain. It seems my real problem now is the sore on the roof of my mouth. I hope to get in for an urgent dentist appointment this morning.

Donna said...

Take it from one who knows! it sounds like you have a sinus infection, and there's no sense in suffering with it any longer. Go to the doctor and get some Zithromax. It's available (by prescription) in a 3 dose Z-Pak. Trust me, you'll feel better almost immediately!

On the homeopathic side, I've also had good luck with this Sinus Rinse™ product: http://www.neilmed.com/usa/products.php#sinusrinse

But really, if you haven't been on antibiotics within the last 6 to 9 months, you might as well reap the benefits of modern science.

Anonymous said...

Hope you will soon be feeling better, doesn't sound like fun at all, hope Greg is looking after you.