Saturday, May 31, 2008

Evening time

I have a warm, furry cat butt pressing against my right shoulder as I type. Earlier today when I was on the computer, I had a warm, fuzzy cat butt pressed against each of my shoulders. Why, you may ask, do I have warm, fuzzy cat butts against my shoulders? Because I'm sitting in the upholstered chair in the corner of our bedroom with my feet up on the ottoman and the window behind me is open.

It's the window that faces the neighbors that live closest to us and they have two dogs who have the run of the backyard. That alone would be reason enough for the cats to spend a good part of their day watching. I think they're waiting to see if the dogs trespass into our yard so they can run downstairs and kick their fuzzy asses.

Oh, who am I kidding. Our cats are housebound. I feel sorry that their lives are so constrained. Not sorry enough to let them run outside and have their lives shortened by at least five years (or so the statistics say), but sorry enough that I put up with warm, fuzzy cat butt pressing against my shoulder. At least for awhile.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't feel bad! I fell for the charade yesterday. My inside cat was whining and trying to get out through the screen door. In my ignorance, I felt guilty for making her stay inside, even though my reasoning is that we live on a busy street and she will surely get hit by a car. So I made a special trip to the pet store, bought a cat harness (yes, just as ridiculous as it sounds) and thought the cat would be THRILLED to touch grass with her little clean paws. Instead, the cat flung herself back up the front step, laid down on her stomach and started crying like someone was trying to kill her! She couldn't get in the door fast enough! I had to hold her for an hour before her little heart calmed down and the fear subsided. She's never going outside again. I've placed the harness by the screen door in case she forgets. If your cats are anything like mine, you can push their fuzzy butts off your shoulder without feeling any guilt!

Deb said...

That story reminds me so much of a story I told here previously about our cat, Pig. I can't get the link to work but it was from 1/5/07.

Thanks for sharing.