Monday, June 18, 2007

Future cartographer

Allie and I were watching "Little People, Big World" tonight, which is about a family where the mom and dad are little people or dwarves. They have four children, one of whom is also a little person. We were talking about the family living in Oregon and I told Allie that Oregon is pretty far away. She somehow had the idea that they lived in Wisconsin too. The daughter in the family was talking about all of the places in the world that she wanted to visit some day while looking at maps and I told Allie that I love maps too.

Afterwards, I ran to the grocery store to get milk and apple juice (gotta have apple juice) and there by the magazines was a display of atlases for kids. Well, that was just too perfect. Of course I bought one.

Allie was still up when I got home because she took a short nap at daycare today, so I threw the perishables in the fridge and we sat down to take a look at her new book. She was very excited. It has maps of each state with another map showing the state's position in the U.S. There are all kinds of games and activities and writing exercises. She really likes it.

And if she's a good girl, I might stop looking at it myself and let her read it.

No comments: